1/8/11

Scott Compton "Dear Dad"


At age 19 I lost my father very suddenly due to an illness, I think to this day, my family is still confused about.  He spent two and a half days in the hospital and was then gone from our lives.  None of us could have comprehended the seriousness of his medical condition, as the Doctors couldn't seem to diagnose the situation.  As a result, he died before we could even begin to think we might need to say a much needed one last I love you or an emotional goodbye.  Twelve years after his death I wrote this piece because the adult I had become grew to understand what I truly didn't see in my father as a teenager and what I missed out on as a result.  In a sense this piece is like a letter I wrote to my father to apologize for my young like mind that just didn't understand. 

Copyright © Scott Compton 2011

No comments: